Sometime, one small mistake can stay in other people's minds much longer than it stays in yours. And sometimes, people don't remember how hard you were trying. They remember the mistake.
I learned this through something as simple as pronunciation.
It Started With One Word
Earlier, I was already aware that my English pronunciation wasn't perfect. I occasionally mispronounced words. But I never thought it was a major problem. I was learning, improving, and trying to communicate better.
Then, during one of my company's communication sessions, I mispronounced a word. The word was "tech." I pronounced it incorrectly.
It was a small mistake. But the reaction I received made it feel much bigger than it actually was. My English trainer once became angry and started behaving differently with me. Later, when he called me for a demo interview, I asked him about my communication skills because I genuinely wanted to improve. I was expecting guidance.
Instead, I felt that some of his responses were sarcastic and that he was making fun of me. At that moment, I didn't understand what was happening. I thought:
I was innocent about the situation. I didn't immediately recognize that the way I was being treated was hurtful. It took me time to understand it.
The Mistake Followed Me
What happened next was even harder. Some of my colleagues and friends started remembering that incident. Whenever I spoke, they started looking for mistakes in my pronunciation.
Sometimes I would pronounce something correctly, but they would still find a way to make fun of me. And occasionally, someone would say:
At first, I tried to take it positively. I told myself: "Maybe this will help me improve my English." And yes, I did want to improve. But there is a difference between constructive correction and repeated humiliation.
Correction helps you grow. Mockery makes you afraid to speak.
After hearing the same joke again and again, I started thinking about that incident even when I was speaking normally. It has been around two months, and surprisingly, I still remember it. Not because the word was difficult. But because of how people reacted to my mistake.
A Pronunciation Mistake Doesn't Define Your Intelligence
This experience taught me something important. Being good at English doesn't make someone better than another person. And making a pronunciation mistake doesn't make someone less intelligent.
English is a language. It is a skill. And like every other skill, people learn it at different speeds.
- Someone may be excellent at English pronunciation but struggle with something else.
- Someone else may be technically brilliant but still be improving their communication.
That doesn't make either person inferior. The real difference is how we treat someone who is still learning. If someone mispronounces a word, you can simply say:
That's enough. You don't need to embarrass them.
But I Also Learned Something About Myself
There is another lesson I took from this experience. Not everything should be taken positively. For a long time, I believed that I should accept every comment positively because it might help me improve. But that's not always healthy.
There is a difference between:
- "You're pronouncing this word incorrectly. Here's how you can improve." (Feedback)
- "Let's keep making fun of you because you made that mistake once." (Disrespect)
Learning to accept feedback is important. But learning to recognize disrespect is equally important.
Set Boundaries
If someone corrects your pronunciation respectfully, listen. Learn it. Thank them. Improve.
But if someone repeatedly mocks you for the same mistake, you don't have to silently accept it. You can calmly correct the situation. For example, if someone deliberately mispronounces something and then laughs at you, you can respond confidently:
"We all make pronunciation mistakes. I corrected mine, and you can correct yours too."
You don't need to become aggressive. You don't need to insult anyone. But you also don't need to become the person everyone feels comfortable making fun of. Being kind doesn't mean having no boundaries.
And Today, I Am Still Learning
I still make mistakes. Sometimes I pronounce a word incorrectly. Sometimes I use the wrong grammar. Sometimes I don't understand sarcasm immediately. And that's okay. I am still learning.
What has changed is that I no longer believe that one mistake should define me. If I pronounce a word incorrectly today, I'll learn the correct pronunciation and move forward. I won't carry that mistake for months.
And I hope the people around me learn something too: Don't turn someone's learning phase into their identity.
You may remember the moment someone made a mistake. They may remember how you made them feel. And sometimes, that feeling lasts much longer than the mistake itself.
One Final Thought
If you're someone who is learning English, improving your communication, or entering the corporate world and you make a pronunciation mistake:
- Don't stop speaking.
- Don't let one word make you afraid of speaking again.
- Correct it. Practice it. Improve. And keep talking.
Because your English may not be perfect today. But your willingness to learn is more important than your ability to pronounce every word perfectly.
And if someone keeps making fun of you for one mistake, remember: You made a pronunciation mistake. You did not become a mistake.
Comments (0)